Faith is a living, bold trust in God's grace, so certain of God's favor that it would risk death a thousand times trusting in it. Such confidence and knowledge of God's grace makes you happy, joyful and bold in your relationship to God and all creatures. The Holy Spirit makes this happen through faith. Because of it, you freely, willingly and joyfully do good to everyone, serve everyone, suffer all kinds of things, love and praise the God who has shown you such grace. - Martin Luther


Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Getting Rooted

Since I was a baby boy, I've been on the move. I moved when I was an infant to Hawaii with my family. Three months later Dad was reassigned to the island of Guam. Since my father was a naval officer, the US government found all sorts of opportunities for my father to serve across the United States and overseas. And because I am the youngest of three sons, I followed my mother and father to where ever the authorities told us to go.

The move to Bozeman comes after a five year stint in Phoenix, Arizona. My authority is the Holy Spirit, because I am a Christian anchored in the Lutheran tradition.

You would think after a life-time of moving I would get used to the fact my earthly belongings get placed in boxes and trucked to new and exotic locations without a hint of upheaval or an expression of stress.

Let me tell you, it does not get easier.

I have found a new test for couples wanting to get married.
1. Pack up your belongings.
2. Travel 1200 miles in separate vehicles to a new locale.
3. Have men bigger than yourself unload the belongings and then place them in areas all over your new residence.
4. Disagree vigorously with your beloved about where said belongings should go.
5. Repeat.

In the midst of upheaval and the deep seated feeling of "unsettledness" I have a desire to "get rooted" in my new surroundings.

My parents, being the wise and caring people that they are, made sure their children felt love, safety, and protection in the midst of great change. My parents did their best to help their boys "get rooted" in new surroundings.

One of those steps was to find a community of faith and to join it and be active participants in it.

I have to come to work for Christ the King Lutheran Church in Bozeman, Montana.
It is in this community of faith I plan to become an active participant.
I plan to "get rooted" here because this community of faith gathers around the Lord Jesus Christ.

How do you "get rooted?"

No comments: