Faith is a living, bold trust in God's grace, so certain of God's favor that it would risk death a thousand times trusting in it. Such confidence and knowledge of God's grace makes you happy, joyful and bold in your relationship to God and all creatures. The Holy Spirit makes this happen through faith. Because of it, you freely, willingly and joyfully do good to everyone, serve everyone, suffer all kinds of things, love and praise the God who has shown you such grace. - Martin Luther


Monday, October 27, 2008

Simple

What is "simple" in your life?
What reaction does the word "simplicity" inspire in your soul?
Right now I'm thinking, "if only..." Today, at least, very little seems all that simple to me. Perhaps that's because I have a great talent for making things more complicated than they really need to be. It's definitely possible.
At the same time, though, I think "complicated" has its own kind of inertia - the world helps life get complicated, and simplicity takes some effort, some awareness, some saying "yes" and some saying "no."
What I'm supposed to be working on right now is my set of articles for the November edition of the congregation's newsletter... Since the first Sunday of Advent lands in November this year, I'm working on a piece about the season of Advent, those four weeks before Christmas, and how they are filled with anticipation and waiting, and hopefully, with simplicity.
I just ordered copies of a great magazine that comes out every year called, "Whose Birthday Is It, Anyway?" to distribute to folks at CtK. The "e-store" of www.simpleliving.net has a great line on it that's making me think:

How you spend your money is how you vote on what exists in the world.


Largely true. I'd add that the ways we spend our time and the relationships we build are other ways we "vote on what exists in the world," though the supply and demand side of things certainly rings true, money-wise.

How did you vote on what exists in the world today?

No comments: