Faith is a living, bold trust in God's grace, so certain of God's favor that it would risk death a thousand times trusting in it. Such confidence and knowledge of God's grace makes you happy, joyful and bold in your relationship to God and all creatures. The Holy Spirit makes this happen through faith. Because of it, you freely, willingly and joyfully do good to everyone, serve everyone, suffer all kinds of things, love and praise the God who has shown you such grace. - Martin Luther


Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Asking Why

According to my parents, like lots of kids I asked a lot of questions when I was younger. And I still do. I love it when long-held questions find new answers. In this case, the question is "What's up with teenagers?"
One stab at an answer comes from John Medina, one of my professors at the University of Washington. (He's also very active at University Presbyterian Church in Seattle, and was always one of my favorite speakers).
Prof. Medina is still doing tons of research and consulting, and now has a book and blog as well, both called Brain Rules. His latest blog entry is the first of two articles on adolescent brain development and psychopathologies. If you can get past some of the big words (I read several sentences twice) it's pretty interesting stuff!

No comments: