Faith is a living, bold trust in God's grace, so certain of God's favor that it would risk death a thousand times trusting in it. Such confidence and knowledge of God's grace makes you happy, joyful and bold in your relationship to God and all creatures. The Holy Spirit makes this happen through faith. Because of it, you freely, willingly and joyfully do good to everyone, serve everyone, suffer all kinds of things, love and praise the God who has shown you such grace. - Martin Luther


Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Tag-Ons to Pr. Grant's sermon reflections

On Sunday morning, Pr. Grant once again confessed to having raided the stacks of books I'm reading (yes, there's always more than one book being read at a time, perhaps it's my own version of having a short attention span...)
The book he mentioned on Sunday was The Story of Stuff, by Annie Leonard. She wrote the book after her short movie, of the same name, received a ton of attention, and many folks asked her to expand on the ideas she'd condensed down for easy communication in short video format.
I haven't read the whole book yet, but it is very thought provoking. If you pick up a copy, let me know, I'd love to know what you think.
Here's the video that started it all:



And here's the latest video, The Story of Cosmetics, which makes me glad I got over the habit of making up my face every day. I find it very interesting that companies are not required to prove the safety of their products or ingredients before encouraging us to rub them all over our bodies. Just because it's for sale, doesn't mean it's safe. Thoughts?

No comments: