Faith is a living, bold trust in God's grace, so certain of God's favor that it would risk death a thousand times trusting in it. Such confidence and knowledge of God's grace makes you happy, joyful and bold in your relationship to God and all creatures. The Holy Spirit makes this happen through faith. Because of it, you freely, willingly and joyfully do good to everyone, serve everyone, suffer all kinds of things, love and praise the God who has shown you such grace. - Martin Luther


Thursday, March 13, 2014

Be still and know that I am God.


My life is not very quiet these days.

This is why I need the quiet atmosphere of midweek Lenten worship to calm my mind, body, and spirit.

I have always enjoyed evening worship. There is something about darkness, candlelight, quiet music, and gentle voices that calm me and help me be still.

My eldest daughter Marit won’t take an afternoon nap unless she is still and quiet.

I have a hard time sensing the presence of the Holy Spirit unless I am still and quiet.

Evening worship provides an opportunity to be still and quiet.

A musical prelude and postlude draws me into the worship space, and keeps me there when I think I need to leave to tend to my duties as a pastor, husband, and father.

The contrast between darkness and light during evening worship holds my attention, unlike some other lighting arrangements.

Quiet voices reading scripture, uttering prayers, and singing hymns calm me down much like when I speak to my boisterous children with a still, small voice.

I will continue to participate in evening worship because I need the quiet, I need the calm, and I need the stillness to help me sense the presence of God’s Holy Spirit.

Perhaps that is God’s gift to us during this season leading up to Holy Week and Easter.

We need the quiet. We need the calm. We need the stillness to help us sense the presence of God’s Holy Spirit.

No comments: