Faith is a living, bold trust in God's grace, so certain of God's favor that it would risk death a thousand times trusting in it. Such confidence and knowledge of God's grace makes you happy, joyful and bold in your relationship to God and all creatures. The Holy Spirit makes this happen through faith. Because of it, you freely, willingly and joyfully do good to everyone, serve everyone, suffer all kinds of things, love and praise the God who has shown you such grace. - Martin Luther


Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Lay My Burden Down

North American Lutherans aren't typically known for showing emotion during worship (or at all, in some cases. Some branches of the Lutheran family tree come from solid Scandinavian stock, and there are plenty of jokes about the "quiet" Norwegian-Americans - like the extroverted Norwegian farmer who looks at YOUR shoes while he talks to you).
That said, some news is just so good, that even the shy-est, most quiet people can't help but show it. I can't remember the last time someone thought I was shy, or quiet (ahem), so I knew it wouldn't be hard for me to sing from the pulpit this past Sunday. I was pretty sure that having a friend play the banjo would help loosen people up for a little non-scripted singing. And the congregation SANG. And sang like they meant it. Thanks be to God that none of us has to carry ANY burden alone. And a lot of the time, the burdens we carry, we don't have to carry at all. Set down the guilt, fear, pride...

Jesus says, "Come to me, all you that are weary and are carrying heavy burdens, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me; for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy (kind, good, suitable, appropriate), and my burden is light." --Matthew 11:28-30.

Glory glory hallelujah!

No comments: