Faith is a living, bold trust in God's grace, so certain of God's favor that it would risk death a thousand times trusting in it. Such confidence and knowledge of God's grace makes you happy, joyful and bold in your relationship to God and all creatures. The Holy Spirit makes this happen through faith. Because of it, you freely, willingly and joyfully do good to everyone, serve everyone, suffer all kinds of things, love and praise the God who has shown you such grace. - Martin Luther


Friday, February 20, 2015

It's Lent

Today is the Friday after Ash Wednesday, which makes it the first Friday in Lent. And it's not too late to take up a special discipline for the season. The traditional practices of the season are prayer, fasting and almsgiving. In keeping with the idea of fasting, lots of folks talk about "giving something up for Lent." The first few paragraphs of this article proved a helpful way for me to think about that - so helpful that I quoted them in my sermon last week.
I know a lot of people who "pick something up for Lent" instead, or who do a little subtraction for the sake of the addition - a "fast 'from' and feast 'on,'" if you will.
Here are a couple links to creative practices for Lent. Personally, I'm doing the Lent Photo a Day as part of my keeping of the season this year - I find it helps focus my vision, and helps me see what I might otherwise miss. If you decide to do the Photo a Day, too, consider posting your pics on your favorite social media platform, and be sure to tag them with the word for the day as well as #ctkbozeman. Thanks!

Lent Photo a Day

40 Things to Give Up For Lent: The List

If you're wanting to make a greater commitment or are looking for something a bit more robust, consider enrolling in Jan Richardson's online retreat - Beloved: An Online Journey Into Lent + Easter. There's a fee for participation, but everyone I know who's ever done one of her online retreats speaks highly of it!

No comments: