Faith is a living, bold trust in God's grace, so certain of God's favor that it would risk death a thousand times trusting in it. Such confidence and knowledge of God's grace makes you happy, joyful and bold in your relationship to God and all creatures. The Holy Spirit makes this happen through faith. Because of it, you freely, willingly and joyfully do good to everyone, serve everyone, suffer all kinds of things, love and praise the God who has shown you such grace. - Martin Luther


Wednesday, December 31, 2008

I feel like a Homer


I dropped the ball again.

Two weeks ago, your Christ the King staff held a Christmas cookie exchange to celebrate the gift of Jesus our Lord.

With the abundance of cookies (and a recent diagnosis of high blood sugar) I decided to give away my plate of cookies to our neighbors in the town home complex where we live.

Our neighbors were so kind to shovel our driveway during a recent snow storm. It was a thoughtful gesture, and we expressed our thanks with a gift of Christmas cookies.

However, I forgot to do one other thing. I forgot to invite our neighbors to Christmas Eve/Christmas Day worship.

Drat! I dropped the ball again.

When I worked at Mt. View Lutheran Church, one of my jobs was to lead chapel for the pre-school students and their parents once a month.

In December 2007 the children held their annual Christmas program for their parents. It was the perfect audience to invite to Christmas Eve/Christmas Day worship. And at Mt. View, we had seven different worship times on Christmas Eve.

In the midst of thanking the children for their program, I forgot to extend an invitation to the parents to join us for worship.

I felt like Homer Simpson. D’oh!

My colleague, Pastor Julie Britsch, was one of the parents in the audience. She came up to me and whispered in my ear, “You might want to invite them to worship on Christmas Eve/Christmas Day.”

Only then did I extend the invitation.

So, if you are forgetting to extend an invitation to Friends/Associates/Neighbors/Strangers (FANS) to join us here at Christ the King for worship, join the club.

I forgot, too.

No comments: