Faith is a living, bold trust in God's grace, so certain of God's favor that it would risk death a thousand times trusting in it. Such confidence and knowledge of God's grace makes you happy, joyful and bold in your relationship to God and all creatures. The Holy Spirit makes this happen through faith. Because of it, you freely, willingly and joyfully do good to everyone, serve everyone, suffer all kinds of things, love and praise the God who has shown you such grace. - Martin Luther


Thursday, December 4, 2008

Random thoughts on a snowy evening

What to get Papa for Christmas?

I am faced with a challenge every 25th of December. What gift should I give to my father? Does he want or need another neck tie? Would he appreciate a box of peanut brittle from Harry and David? I know, he loves to read and listen to music. I’ll buy him a book and a Carrie Underwood CD! He loves coffee. How about giving him a Starbucks gift card?
The good news is my father has requested that for his birthday (December 5th ) and for Christmas he desires no gifts. He has encouraged his family and friends to give to the local charity of our choice, or to the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America “Good Gifts” campaign, which helps feed hungry people across the globe.
My father Robert is a faithful volunteer in his own parish, Mt. Carmel Lutheran Church in San Luis Obispo, CA. His special emphasis is ministry to the homeless.
With that thought in mind, I will make a gift in honor of my father Robert’s birthday to “Family Promise of the Gallatin Valley.”www.familypromisegv.org It is a ministry that helps shelter families by using a network of churches and places of worship all throughout southwest Montana.
I became acquainted with Family Promise when I served a parish in the greater Phoenix, AZ area. It is a worthy cause.
So here’s to you, Papa. No neck ties. No peanut brittle to rot your teeth or make you fat. No books, CDs, or coffee. Here’s to you, for helping homeless families find hope in the midst of hard times.

No comments: