Faith is a living, bold trust in God's grace, so certain of God's favor that it would risk death a thousand times trusting in it. Such confidence and knowledge of God's grace makes you happy, joyful and bold in your relationship to God and all creatures. The Holy Spirit makes this happen through faith. Because of it, you freely, willingly and joyfully do good to everyone, serve everyone, suffer all kinds of things, love and praise the God who has shown you such grace. - Martin Luther


Friday, March 25, 2011

So, how's it going?


Are you keeping Lent this year? If you are, how's it going? Did you give something up for Lent - or add something? How's your new practice/discipline treating you?

I'm finding that making a point of putting a dollar a day in my little cardboard offering box is making me more aware of how I spend all my money. It's providing me with another opportunity to be mindful of the ways my life is more comfortable than I deserve, and to think of those who are more uncomfortable than they deserve - especially the survivors of the earthquake and tsunami in Japan. I've also learned just how little sacrifice it is to set aside a dollar a day - at least for now. I've emptied my wallet of one dollar bills, but have also been emptying out that jar of spare change, 6 dimes, a quarter and 3 nickels at a time, and that has been pretty painless.

I know I could have just waited until right before Easter and gone to the ATM for two crisp twenties, and that the recipient of my offering would never know the difference, after all $40 is $40. Except it isn't - the daily practice of setting aside $1 is making me more grateful, more aware, and more prayerful. This discipline stuff might be good for me after all.

No comments: