Faith is a living, bold trust in God's grace, so certain of God's favor that it would risk death a thousand times trusting in it. Such confidence and knowledge of God's grace makes you happy, joyful and bold in your relationship to God and all creatures. The Holy Spirit makes this happen through faith. Because of it, you freely, willingly and joyfully do good to everyone, serve everyone, suffer all kinds of things, love and praise the God who has shown you such grace. - Martin Luther


Monday, August 22, 2011

Reflection on today's sermon

The Gospel lesson for the 10th Sunday after Pentecost is Matthew 16:13-20.
Have you been thinking at all about how you would answer Jesus' question, "Who do you say that I am?"
Or about what you might say if someone asked, "What is it you believe?"
What follows is one of the songs we sang quite a bit at Flathead Lutheran Bible Camp during the week CtK types were there back in July. And if we'd had music for it (instead of just the guitar chords) perhaps I would have chosen it for one of our songs in worship today. Perhaps the lyrics can serve as a prayer for you this week, and help you think about who Jesus is in your life.

You are holy.
You are mighty.
You are worthy,
worthy of praise.
I will follow. 
I will listen.
I will love you
all of my days.

I will sing to and worship the King who is worthy.
I will love and adore him. I will bow down before him.
You’re my Prince of Peace and I will live my life for you.

You’re the Lord of lords, You’re the King of Kings, you are mighty God, Lord of everything.
You’re Emmanuel. You’re the Great I Am. You’re the Prince of Peace who is the lamb.

You’re the living God, You’re my saving grace, You will reign forever. You are Ancient of Days.
You are Alpha, Omega, beginning and end. You’re my Savior, Messiah, Redeemer and friend.
You're my Prince of Peace and I will live my life for you.

No comments: