Faith is a living, bold trust in God's grace, so certain of God's favor that it would risk death a thousand times trusting in it. Such confidence and knowledge of God's grace makes you happy, joyful and bold in your relationship to God and all creatures. The Holy Spirit makes this happen through faith. Because of it, you freely, willingly and joyfully do good to everyone, serve everyone, suffer all kinds of things, love and praise the God who has shown you such grace. - Martin Luther


Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Yup.

One of my favorite things about being a pastor is getting to know people and hear their stories - where they come from, how they got to where they are now, the important people in their lives, how God shows up and surprises them, how God uses them in the world, the questions they have, etc.
Today I was blessed by conversation with a woman new to CtK, over a very tasty lunch. She is, like all of God's children, quite fascinating and fabulous. And she said something that made me ask her, "Can I quote you on that?"
When I asked her about connecting with a community of faith in the midst of a very full life (demanding full time job, children, husband, etc.), she said, "I'm too busy not to make this a priority."
Yup.
Sometimes people think they'll be able to make it to worship when they're not so busy. I'm not sure that's ever really true. I have a feeling it wouldn't be true for me - even if I wasn't a pastor. Participating in weekly worship and connecting with the community of faith help make the rest of my life possible. Like all the legends of famous reformers and "churchmen" tell us - they were so busy and so involved in so much, they had to spend hours (three, four, more?) in prayer every day. It was the only way they could accomplish what needed to get done.
There are lots of ways to think about sabbath. One of my favorites has been the switch to thinking about Sunday not only as the day of rest at the end of the week, but as a day of rest, worship and praise at the BEGINNING of the week - fuel and a jumping off point for all that's ahead. And life is definitely too busy not to make that a priority.

No comments: