Faith is a living, bold trust in God's grace, so certain of God's favor that it would risk death a thousand times trusting in it. Such confidence and knowledge of God's grace makes you happy, joyful and bold in your relationship to God and all creatures. The Holy Spirit makes this happen through faith. Because of it, you freely, willingly and joyfully do good to everyone, serve everyone, suffer all kinds of things, love and praise the God who has shown you such grace. - Martin Luther


Tuesday, August 31, 2010

More thoughts on last Sunday's Gospel text

Though I wasn't the preacher this past Sunday, I have been reflecting on the Gospel reading from Luke. I hear Jesus' call to invite "the poor, the blind, the crippled and the lame" to dinner, instead of one's friends and family, and think, "But I don't really KNOW that many poor, blind, crippled, or lame people." And then I think, "Why is that? Maybe I should."
What does it say about contemporary small town/suburban life that it's pretty easy to go day after day without crossing paths with folks who are all that different from me?
Our household gives regularly to the Gallatin Valley Food Bank, and that's a good thing, but I don't know many folks who receive regularly from the Gallatin Valley Food Bank. I wonder how my life would be different - better, I'd bet - if I did. Jesus isn't just calling us to share what we have with those we don't know, but to get to know those who would benefit from our sharing. I believe it's in the relationship that everyone benefits, perhaps the ones sharing most of all. Yes, it might make me more uncomfortable on one level, to put names and faces and very real lives to all the statistics it's so easy to shrug off, but is it right, or holy, to avoid that discomfort?

1 comment:

Ian said...

you are right on both levels: we ought to develop relationships with people from diverse socioeconomic backgrounds, AND it's not so easy to do so around here. i think the "not so easy" part has a lot more to do with fear than with actual difficulty. i haven't tried it myself, but i bet it would take no more than 2 phone calls to connect with those less fortunate who could benefit from both material support and, especially, relational support.