Faith is a living, bold trust in God's grace, so certain of God's favor that it would risk death a thousand times trusting in it. Such confidence and knowledge of God's grace makes you happy, joyful and bold in your relationship to God and all creatures. The Holy Spirit makes this happen through faith. Because of it, you freely, willingly and joyfully do good to everyone, serve everyone, suffer all kinds of things, love and praise the God who has shown you such grace. - Martin Luther


Thursday, October 14, 2010

Lost and Found




My heart is full of joy today.

Sorry to disappoint you. Baby Barnett Christenson has not yet arrived.

I am talking about the miraculous rescue of the thirty-three trapped Chilean mines. The news these days seems to be filled with bad news. “If it bleeds, it leads.” Thank goodness there is some good news for a change! And how heartening to hear that the miners fought over who would come up last in the Phoenix rescue capsule!

I have been moved by the photographs of the miners and their families giving thanks to God for their safe rescue. What was lost has been found again.

On a matter closer to home, I am glad my neighbor found his two lost dogs.

I was out walking Violet the dog last Monday, when I heard a high pitched bark from a neighbor’s yard. Within moments the source of the bark (a Pug) punched a hole through the fence and ran across the street. His partner in crime, a small beagle, followed shortly. I ran to the next door neighbor’s house, asked for help, and proceeded to chase the two small dogs across an empty field towards some town homes. It was a hopeless cause. The two canines, having found freedom, seized it and ran with glee through my subdivision. I chased them with Violet in tow, until I lost track of them. Even after returning to the scene of the escape with my Honda, I still could not find Mr. Pug and Miss Beagle.

I was crestfallen. I know what it’s like to lose a beloved pet. I was sure the pug and the beagle would run away, never to be found again. Until this morning.

While walking Violet this morning, we passed by the backside of the home of the pug and the beagle. I did not hear their high pitched barking. But passing by the street side of the home, I saw the two happy dogs, barking to their heart’s content from the living room. Oh, what joy!

Can you imagine how heaven feels when a lost sinner is found? There must be great rejoicing, like what’s going on in Chile and what’s going on in a modest size home right here in Bozeman. What was lost has now been found again.

Let’s throw a party!

No comments: