Faith is a living, bold trust in God's grace, so certain of God's favor that it would risk death a thousand times trusting in it. Such confidence and knowledge of God's grace makes you happy, joyful and bold in your relationship to God and all creatures. The Holy Spirit makes this happen through faith. Because of it, you freely, willingly and joyfully do good to everyone, serve everyone, suffer all kinds of things, love and praise the God who has shown you such grace. - Martin Luther


Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Waiting

I am not, by nature, a patient person. I tend to prefer to be in control of as much of my life as possible, even though I know that ultimately there's very little I have control over.
Answering the phone this morning to my sister's voice singing, "Happy due date to you, happy due date to you..." only reminded me how not in control I am of some pretty major things in my life. Like when this baby is going to be born.
I know I'm not the only one who's getting anxious about this impending arrival. Folks have started calling the church office asking if I'm here, and when our fabulous Office Manager Dawn says, "Yes, hold on," the caller says, "No, I don't want to talk to her, I was just wondering if she's still there." Don't worry - we'll let you know when the baby has come, if it's a boy or a girl, and what we decide the name should be.
A few lines from Evan Almighty keep coming back to me. Morgan Freeman, who plays God in the film, has a great conversation with Evan's wife, Joan. And he says, "Let me ask you something. If someone prays for patience, do you think God gives them patience? Or does he give them the opportunity to be patient? If they pray for courage, does God give them courage, or does he give them opportunities to be courageous? If someone prayed for their family to be closer, you think God zaps them with warm, fuzzy feelings? Or does he give them opportunities to love each other?"
I am definitely being given the opportunity to be patient. Thanks for joining me on the journey.

1 comment:

A Work in Progress said...

Joining you in the waiting game...so exciting!!!!